In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Polebrook like this:
POLEBROOK, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Northampton. The village stands 1 mile E of the river Nen, 1½ E of the Northampton and Peterborough railway, and 2 E S E of Oundle. The parish contains also the hamlet of Armston, and is in Oundle district. Post-town, Oundle. Acres, 2, 730. Real property, £3, 324. Pop., 488. Houses, 109. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £420.* Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is partly Norman, partly early English; consists of nave, aisles, transepts, and chancel, with tower and broochspire; and was recently repaired. There is a free school. The hundred contains also 5 other parishes and parts of 3 others. Acres, 19, 840. Pop. in 1851, 5, 596; in 1861, 5, 723. Houses, 1, 154.
The above entry is found at
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Polebrook in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 14th January 2016