This is the entry for Polebrook
POLEBROOK HUNDRED POLEBROOK
able to the Creed Educational Foundation, and the
residue is paid to the Vicar in consideration of his
conducting religious services and giving religious
instruction in the Hamlet of Ashton.
By his will dated 29 January, 1723, John Clifton
gave £300 to the feoffees of the Town Estates, the
interest to be applied for the benefit of two poor
blind people, or failing this to be distributed among
deserving old men. In respect of this charity a sum
of ¿5 5/. 4d. was distributed in 1924.
Paine’s Almshouses. By an Indenture dated
21 May, 1801, John Paine conveyed to trustees 4
tenements situate at Chapel End in Oundle upon
trust to place therein poor persons or families of or
attending the congregation of Protestant dissenters
in Oundle. The almshouses have no endowment.
By an Order of the Northamptonshire County
Court holden at Oundle 17 April, i860, the Vicar
and Churchwardens of Oundle were appointed
Trustees of the Charity of Miss Charlotte Simcoe,
the endowment of which consists of £500 Consols
with the Official Trustees of Charitable Funds pro-
ducing ¿12 ioj. od. yearly in dividends, which is
distributed in flannel to about 100 recipients.
The Unknown Donors Charity consists of a yearly
payment of 6s. 8d. paid by the Hon. Mrs. C. Roth-
schild out of the Tring Estate. This payment is
distributed in flannel by the Vicar and Church-
wardens with Miss Simcoe’s Charity.
The Charity of John William Smith, founded by
will proved in P.R. I June, 1897, is regulated by a
scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 2 April,
1912. The property consists of ¿135 4 per cent.
1st Pref. Stock of the L. and N.E. Rly. with the
Official Trustees of Charitable Funds producing
yearly ¿5 8/. od. in dividends, which is distributed
in doles by the Trustees of Parson Latham’s
Pochebroc (xi cent ), Pokebroc (xii cent ), Pokebroke
(xiii cent.), Pokesbrook, Pogbroke, Polbrok (xv cent.),
Polehbrookc als Polebrooke (xviii cent.).
The parish of Polebrook covers 1,836} acres, its
hamlet of Armston, 852J acres, on a subsoil chiefly
of Oxford clay, but of cornbrash in the north-west,
the upper soil being clay. There are here 681 acres
of arable land, 1,037} permanent grass, and 13 of
woods and plantations. The chief crops are hay,
barley and wheat. In the north-west of the parish
where the River Nene separates it from Oundle,
and about the village, the land is 100 ft. above the
ordnance datum, but rises towards the south and
east to 200 ft.
The road from Peterborough enters the parish
through Ashton on the north and runs south-east-
wards through the village. A branch road bears
east to Lutton, Washingley and Norman Cross, with
a small Wesleyan chapel, built in 1863, on its north,
and the rectory, Polebrook Hall, the school and
Manor House on its south. The main road con-
tinues in a southerly direction to the Giddings,
passing the church of All Saints on the one side and
on the other the post office, noteworthy for two
16th-century chimneypieces. In the centre of the
village a stone column commemorates the fallen in
the war of 1914-18. The Northamptonshire his-
torian in the early part of the 18th century describes
the village as standing low on a rocky ground, with
two bridges, one * Pottock bridge,’ outside, the
other, a small horse bridge of two arches, within,
its area.1 At Armston are woods called New Fox
Covert, Horse Close Spinney, Burray Spinney, and
Cow Shackle Coppice, a name which recalls the Cow-
shakell bushes and Cowshakell slade of 1602.2 There
are two moats here and the site of a chapel, possibly
that of St. John Baptist. In or before 1791 there
remained in a building here four large windows
resembling 1 chapel windows,’ and a high arched roof
within and two columns without.3 The remains of
the chapel of St. Leonard at Armston were also found
at the end of the 19th century in a farmhouse to the
east of the Green, and near to them were some evidences
of a moat and fishponds.4 This chapel was founded
apparently by Ralph de Trubleville and Alice his wife
early in the 13th century, who gave it to Royse
lady of Polbrook and patron of the church, together
with six acres of land. Whereupon Royse gave to
the chapel a font for the baptism of infants and pro-
vided a chaplain to say services daily excepting burial
of the dead.5 There was an altar of St. Mary in the
chapel.6 The abbot of Peterborough was bound to
find a chaplain to say divine service daily for the soul
of Robert le Fleming.7 To the east of Polebrook
stands the rectory farm, now the property of Brig.-
Gen. A. Ferguson, and Polebrook Lodge, with New
Lodge, near the borders of Hemington. Three Acre
Spinney, with Kingsthorpe Lodge and Kingsthorpe
Coppice, with a moat adjacent and other woods, are
all in this direction.
Armston is said to have been inclosed in 1683.
Long before that time, however, other parts of the
parish had been inclosed by tenants. In 1602, at
the instance of Edward Batley, farmer of the Queen’s
manor of Polebrook, it was found on inquiry that
30 acres of arable land and pasture had been inclosed
by the first Sir Edward Montagu and his son, besides
various other lands in the hamlet of Kingsthorpe.8
An Act was passed in 1790 for inclosing the common
fields of Polebrook, then reported to contain about
1,400 acres.9 Armston was finally inclosed by an Act
Among place names which occur are Le Lynch-
furlong, Cookesgreene, Haselbrooke, Cuttstones Crosse
(Le Cutcrosse in Kingsthorp), Hensons Closse,
Saltersmeare, the Queenes Closse, Hartmere Furlong,
1 Bridges, Hist. Nortbants. ii, 414.
* Duchy of Lane. Spec. Com. 633.
* Bridges, op. cit. 417.
* T. H. Wright, MS. notes on the
Barnwell Estate, 1909.
• Buccleuch Deeds, F. 26.
• Ibid F. 3.
’ Ibid F. 45.
• Duchy of Lane. Spec. Com. 633, 645.
• Private Act, 30 Geo. Ill, cap.
•a Loc. and Personal Act, 47 Geo. Ill,
Sets. I, cap. 19 (not printed).
The Wesleyan Chapel (now the private residence known as Garfield) was solemnized for performing marriage ceremonies on February 29th, 1924.
See full PDF