Polebrook Hall was built in the early seventeenth century, and there is evidence that there may have been a house on this site before.
Brig.Gen. Algernon Francis Holford Ferguson 1867 – 1943
This is a listed building. This is the entry on the Historic England website.
Country house. C17, datestone 1719, enlarged and remodelled 1881 as dated rainwater head and probably later C19. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Originally H-shape plan, then complex, now irregular U-shaped. Main front is a 4-window range. End bays break forward as shallow projecting gabled wings. Central C19 gabled porch has side lights and ashlar parapets. Windows immediately left and right of porch are 2-light stone mullions, those at first floor are C17. Projecting wings have C19 four light stone mullion windows. Ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials and ashlar stacks at ridge. Central ashlar lateral stack above porch is probably C19. 2-window range to right is c1881 with 3-light stone mullion windows to first floor and similar 2-light windows to ground floor. The right gable and parts of the left gable were refaced c1881. Elevation to left of main front has central, 2-storey, square bay window with stone mullions; restored C19. Range to left has higher eaves and was added c1719. Gable end of this range has 2-window range of sash windows with glazing bars and moulded stone architraves. Rusticated quoins and ashlar gable parapets. Datestone in apex of gable. Rear elevation has centre of 4 windows with gable to left and some C17 stone mullion windows. Range to left is late C19 with shallow stone mullion oriel window at first floor. A late C19 range linking the two projecting wings, at the rear, was removed mid C20. Interior: entrance hall to centre of main front has open fireplace with moulded bressumer restored late C19. Staircase hall to left of entrance hall has C18 staircase, with 3 turned balusters per tread, rising around an open well. C18 panelling is probably reset. Room to front left of entrace hall has reset C17 panelling, door is dated 1627. Room to rear left has reset C17 fireplace with 4-centred arch head. Room to right of entrance hall has overmantel with some reset Jacobean panels. Room to first floor front left and staircase hall have coved ceilings and may originally have been one first floor chamber. Room to first floor rear left has C18 fielded panelling. First floor room to right has reset C17 panelling with a decorated frieze. Room adjacent to far right has overmantel decorated with small turned balusters and inset picture, and is dated 1842. Wall attached to left of main front has gatearch, with reset C17 moulded stone surround, with 4-centred arch head. (RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p136; National Monuments Record; Photographic Collection)
There is also a lengthy archaeological building assessment document that details many aspects of the property’s history and various structural alterations over the years.